vendredi, novembre 11, 2005

Presidents

I arrived in the DRC on October 10, so I have been here for one month now. It feels like no time. Yet, it also feels like it has been years since I have been in the US.

Yesterday, before a meeting for US citizens at the residence of the US Ambassador, I saw my third Presidential motorcade of the month. The motorcade consists of a series of black SUVs, maybe a limousine or two, surrounded by military personnel, all driving very fast. There are soldiers on flatbed trucks interspersed throughout the fleet. They have their weapons trained at everything on their route. As I was instructed by some orientation materials I received before I arrived, there are very specific protocols that everyone needs to follow when you see a motorcade. Actually you don’t “see” it--you are expected to avert your gaze. Don’t look. If you are in a vehicle, pull off the road and turn off the engine until it passes. This applies to all vehicles in the vicinity, even if you are not in the direct route, but on the opposite side of the road or at a nearby intersection. And of course absolutely no photographs.

Zolani, the person I was with yesterday, asked if it was the same with the US President. I reflected and said that they do close down streets when the President comes through. (I remember a couple of Clinton visits to NYC…) The main difference is that the soldiers are typically in civilian clothes and their weapons are concealed. And I have to say, as much as I might believe that the US version only obfuscates its power, I think I prefer not to see the gun.

On the topics of presidents and power, I have gotten some updates on the election process here and will post something substantive after the weekend.