lundi, janvier 23, 2006

DRC 2, Togo 0


The Africa Cup soccer tournament began on Friday night in Cairo and on Saturday, the DRC Simbas (lions) played its first match against Togo. This was a big match because Togo was one of five African qualifiers for the World Cup. The other four African representatives are Ghana, Angola, Côte d’Ivoire, and Tunisia. Most people here consider it a pretty weak field that would be stronger with Morocco, Cameroon, and Nigeria, historically the most competitive teams in international competition, and Senegal which has a great run in 2002. DRC was last in the World Cup when it was in the US (1994) and is competitive but was not really expected to qualify. Of the African teams, Côte d’Ivoire and Tunisia are considered the strongest.

With this the backdrop, I watched the Simbas beat Togo, 2-0, with a group of priests and nuns at a Catholic retreat center, where I spent part of the weekend. (I was invited by a Haitian priest I met last month…this place is right on the river…this time I got pictures…I will try to post one.) The center is one where groups meet for conferences and people go for relaxation. It is an ideal spot for such things--really beautiful and calm and peaceful. Except when the Simbas score a goal. Then you can hear the cheers of the Sisters and Fathers over the crickets. Everyone was excited which made the evening’s celebratory meal for the birthday of one of the Sisters even more special.

It was good match, and a huge victory against a World Cup team. Of course, this just reinforces people’s belief that Togo shouldn’t be there in the first place (and based on what I saw they are right). Angola also lost to Cameroon. Again a non-qualifier beat a qualifying team, but this is not much of an upset since Cameroon is still widely considered one of the best teams on the continent (although since they are the DRC’s biggest rival, few here will admit it). DRC gets another chance to prove itself; its next opponent is Angola, another World Cup qualifier, on Wednesday. The DRC’s division is the most competitive in the tournament as it is the only group with two World Cup teams. Plus it has Cameroon, who the Simbas play next Sunday. With one more win, they will advance to the quarterfinals.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hello Dr. Dworkin.

I would have never imagined nuns watching a soccer game, let alone to be watching it at a retreat center! Again, your blog proves to be very informative, at least to this reader.

Since we did not get to watch the game, could you tell us who scored the two goals?

Thank you very much.

Your avid reader.

2:05 AM  
Blogger irad said...

Mputo Mabi scored at the end of the first half.

Lomana LuaLua (the captain striker who plays for Portsmouth in England) scored the second goal at 63 min.

Mbala missed a couple of shots, he could have made.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hi Ira: I am looking forward to a Nigeria v. DRC final. Keep us up to date on the African Cup of Nations. Brent

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Thanks Ira, for the info on the scorers of last games. I will be waiting to hear about all the remaining match up between DRC and other nations.

By the way, from the way you describe things in DRC, you seem to be having fun in the midst of what most of us would consider rough living. How is that?

4:01 AM  
Blogger irad said...

Nigeria should advance. They already have one win over Ghana (a qualifier), and their next match is against Zimbabwe which looked pretty medicore against Senegal.

Sure, I am enjoying myself here. As someone far wealthier than most people here, it is not really rough living. I have access to anti-malrial drugs and typhoid vaccine and a water purifier. My US Passport can extircate me from scrapes with the police, and other situations. Plus I have a car to get around the city. I have a lot of advantages that are otherwise scarce here in Kin, where life is extremely difficult for almost everyone.

It is a good question, and one I should probably address in more detail at some point. There does seem to be a contradiction.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hello, Ira, or Dr. Dworkin, if I may call you by your hard earned academic title.

Thank you for keeping me abreast o fthe soccer touraments and stuff. About the question of how you seem to enjoy yourself in the midst if extant hardship, your answer begs for more explanation.
Do you think that people, Congolese who are wealtheir than the average folk, do not long, wish or hope to get out of the congo? I have encountered many who have left the country but who had more than what you describe for yourself. I think that your happiness there is from your other intrinsic values (outlook).

I really enjoy your blog.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

1:02 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home