Barbershop
I got my hair cut earlier this week, and got some compliments. Here is how I know they were honest compliments: after telling me it looked good, Mama also told me, as if unburdening herself of a long-held secret, that after my first haircut a couple of months ago, my barber jacked me up. (She said this in French…I know, how do you say jacked up in French?...I think it was something like Il t’a trompé.) And she also told me she let my barber know as much the next time she saw him. In fairness to him, my hair was pretty long (for me) the first time he had to deal with it. But now he is getting used to my hair and things are coming together.
My barber is a law student who lives in the neighborhood. (I went to his 25th birthday party a few weeks ago.) Very very nice guy. He comes to the house and cuts my hair on the back porch. I pay him 600 fc (less than $1.50). The first time, the friend who introduced us told me I needed to supply my own razor. I was terribly confused, because the razor I use is for my face; unless I wanted bald, I didn’t understand how it would work. I assumed that he had a pair of electric clippers, which is how I always have my hair cut in the US. Once I saw for myself, I understood it better. Here is how haircuts go: the razor is a two-edged, disposable, soft-metal blade which the customer supplies (50 fc for one, or 300 fc for a pack of 10). The barber’s comb goes between my scalp and the blade, positioned for the desired length. The blade is moved front to back, taking off my hair, leaving it neat and close to the scalp (as I like it). Voilà. No electricity.
My barber is a law student who lives in the neighborhood. (I went to his 25th birthday party a few weeks ago.) Very very nice guy. He comes to the house and cuts my hair on the back porch. I pay him 600 fc (less than $1.50). The first time, the friend who introduced us told me I needed to supply my own razor. I was terribly confused, because the razor I use is for my face; unless I wanted bald, I didn’t understand how it would work. I assumed that he had a pair of electric clippers, which is how I always have my hair cut in the US. Once I saw for myself, I understood it better. Here is how haircuts go: the razor is a two-edged, disposable, soft-metal blade which the customer supplies (50 fc for one, or 300 fc for a pack of 10). The barber’s comb goes between my scalp and the blade, positioned for the desired length. The blade is moved front to back, taking off my hair, leaving it neat and close to the scalp (as I like it). Voilà. No electricity.

0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home