Things I noticed at the Wenge concert Sunday night
- JP Mpiana was wearing a brand new white shirt that had the manufacturer’s label on the front pocket. (I couldn’t read it from where I was sitting.)
- The dancers were wearing fur-lined snow boots.
- JP’s head of security was wearing a short-sleeve leather shirt.
- Cigars seemed to be a popular accoutrement (which I didn’t notice five months ago).
- There were a lot of people on stage. JP rolls deeper than Wu Tang, but not deeper than Werrason (his onetime partner and current rival on the Kinshasa music scene).
5 Comments:
mon ciel,
you forgot the part about how we knew that jp's shirt was brand new -- he left in the creases, which were possibly from the packaging to leave no doubt that it was new and then the dangling label (probably including the extra buttons that you get with this kind gleaming sateen fancy shirt he was wearing) showed that it was a brand. oh the whole thing was such a gorgeous sight!! and then there was his wonderful fur-lined hat (leapord print of course! i guess...) and sunglasses (at first) it was spectacular and this is before you get to the music, which was so perfect, you just wanted to drink it.
sunday night date
How thrilling is decadence! Everyone had to notice the "Griffe". I must give it tto JP, he's got the stuff!
JP is a BAD MAN!
I agree with you there my man, JP is a bad dude. How can we secure some of his recent bad material?
Finding Congolese music in the US is very difficult. It is a result, I suspect, of a poorly organized industry and international distribution system. Werrason may be the most popular singer in all of Africa, but his music is not readily available in the US. (Perhaps in Atlanta or Charlotte.) It seems that it circulates mainly through more informal routes (i.e. I have found it in immigrant neighborhoods in Paris and Brussels). At least this is my impression--
Of course, if Missy Elliot produces Werrason's next album, the story might change!
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home